Guj tourists may get to see Asiatic lions in Amreli
Ahmedabad: Tourists visiting Gujarat to get a glimpse of the Asiatic Lions might get to see them at a new address at Ambardi in Amreli district, the eastern end of Gir sanctuary, by this year-end.
With a view to ease burgeoning tourist rush during the peak seasons at Sasan Gir, the state government is developing Gir Interpretation Zone Ambardi in Amreli, on the lines of Devaliya park, in Junagadh district.
"A replicate of Devaliya park is being developed at Ambardi near Dhaari in Amreli district, which would be housing 6-8 zoo-bred lions. The sanctuary is contiguous internally," Gujarat Chief Wildlife Warden C N Pandey said.
Gir National Park (Sasan Gir), is the last abode of Asiatic Lions, a protected area from south east of Junagadh to south west of Amreli. Devaliya park, is situated near Sasan Gir. It is around 75-100 kilometres away from the proposed new zone in Amreli.
"It’s a beautiful picturesque place near a river. The fencing work has been completed...Animal houses have been constructed...Just the infrastructure required for tourist handling is to be developed there," Pandey said.
The zone is being developed on an area of around 400 hectares with fund assistance from Centre as well as the state. State forest department officials estimate that the new zone, which would have lions in a closed but natural environment along with host of other animals, could be opened for tourists by this year end.
Guided bus tours would be made available to tourists, they said.
"The idea is to attract tourists arriving directly in Bhavnagar and Amreli...Otherwise they have to travel all the way to south western end of Sasan Gir in Junagadh," a forest department official said.
Sasan Gir has a defined tourism zone where tourists are usually allowed to go on eight routes. To handle rush during the peak season officials open four new routes, but at times its not sufficient to meet demand.
Nearly 150 vehicles go inside the sanctuary on peak days during the season, otherwise usually 90 vehicles meets the tourist requirement on daily basis, a forest department official said.
As per the state forest department officials, after the launch of Khusboo Gujarat Ki, an ad-campaign on tourism promotion featuring Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan, the tourist inflow at Sasan Gir has just doubled in last two years.
According to forest department official at Sasan Gir, the tourist inflows shot to a high of 4.83 lakh visitors in FY 2012-13.
"There has been a steep rise in tourist inflows at Gir over the last four years. It has sharply risen from 1.29 lakh visitor levels in 2009-10, after the ad-campaign on state tourism promotion was launched in 2010," a forest department official said.
As per officials, tourist inflow at Gir stood at 2.69 lakh visitors in 2010-11 and 4.15 lakh in 2011-12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in