Gulf oil spill sickens more than 70 people in Louisiana
Washington: Seventy-one people in Louisiana have suffered health problems that officials believe are linked to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the state`s department of health and hospitals said Wednesday.
Fifty of those who have reported symptoms including throat irritation, cough, shortness of breath, eye irritation, nausea, chest pain and headaches, worked on oil rigs or were part of the effort to clean up the spill.
Thirty of the workers said their illness came on after they were exposed to emulsified oil and dispersant, said the report, which is updated weekly.
Eight people -- all of them rig or clean-up workers -- have been hospitalized with spill-related illnesses, the report said.
All hospitalizations were short, "generally one day," it said.
Twenty-one reports of illness came from members of the general public and were overwhelmingly related to odors from the oil spill.
Most of the members of the public who reported symptoms were at home when they fell ill, the report shows.
The most common symptom associated with the spill was headache, followed by nausea, cough and throat irritation.
The Louisiana state health authority began gathering reports of human exposures to oil from the slick or chemicals used to disperse it four weeks after the April 20 explosion on the BP-leased Deepwater Horizon that caused the disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.
The report was compiled using data gathered from emergency departments, outpatient clinics, doctors` offices and the Louisiana poison control center.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her