Harmful pollutants go up sharply in Beijing
Beijing: The levels of two pollutants harmful to human health rose sharply in Beijing in the first three months of 2013 relative to the same period of last year, the South China Morning Post reported, citing a government official.
The head of the Beijing Municipal Environmental Protection Bureau, Chen Tian, Wednesday said nitrous dioxide and large particulates known as PM 10 climbed by 30 percent in the first three months of the year.
Another of the most frequently detected pollutants was sulphur dioxide, although its level in the atmosphere was down slightly in the January-March period.
Separately, the Xinhua news agency cited the China Meteorological Administration as saying pollution levels last month were the highest for a month of March in 52 years.
"There were no strong winds to disperse the pollution cloud," CMA representative Chen Zhenlin said.
Since the beginning of this year, dangerously high concentrations of air pollutants have lingered over large areas of China for more than three days and, in some cases, for more than 15 days.
Beijing was especially hard hit, registering severe air pollution on 26 out of 31 days in January.
On its worst day, the Chinese capital had an extremely high level of small particulates - known as PM 2.5 - of 993 micrograms per cubic meter of air.
Those particulates are especially dangerous because they can penetrate people`s lungs and enter the blood stream.
Under China`s own standards, a PM 2.5 level above 200 micrograms per cubic meter is considered harmful to people with lung or heart disease, while the World Health Organization says a level of 25 micrograms per cubic meter or higher is a threat to public health.
The world`s second-largest economy has neglected the environment for decades in its quest for rapid industrial development, a growth strategy that has resulted in severely polluted air, rivers and lakes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly