Heavy rains in Kerala caused by global warming: Scientist
New Delhi: Global warming could be responsible for unprecendent heavy rains that is being witnessed this summer in Kerala and wreaked havoc there, a top scientist said Thursday.
Expressing fears that heavy rains during this season could weaken the southwest Monsoon, Kerala State Disaster Management Authority member Shekhar Lukose Kuriakose said that last month`s prediction of below normal monsoon this year by India Meteorological Department could turn out to be true.
Kerala, the gateway of the monsoon into the mainland of the country, has experienced heavy rains over the last few days, three weeks ahead of the arrival of South Asia`s southwesterly monsoon.
According to Kerala Revenue Minister Adoor Prakash, 18 persons have died and losses amounting to Rs 250 crore were reported across the state in heavy summer showers since April.
The crop destruction alone was around Rs 20 crore during the period. A delegation consisting of Prakash, State Revenue Secretary Satyajit Rajan and Shekhar met Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde seeking an urgent Rs 110 crore interim relief.
"A deep depression over sea is the reasons for summer rains. I cannot say whether global warming is responsible for deep depression...However, I can say that we can link the intensified summer rains to global warming," Shekhar told reporters here.
Shekhar, who is also an associate professor at Kerala Disaster Management Centre, said that generally the pre-monsoon showers are minimal but this year the state was witnessing unprecedented heavy summer rains.
Asked whether the intensified summer rains will affect monsoon this year, he said intense summer heat is the reason for good monsoon showers but "the current intense summer rains, which is hitting the southern states, are likely to influence temperature pattern causing a below normal monsoon".
India is expected to see below normal monsoon this year with Met department forecasting 95 per cent rainfall because of the El-Nino effect, which is generally associated with the warming of ocean water.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion