Heavy smog alert for Beijing as pollution levels goes high
Beijing: Chinese capital has issued a yellow alert for heavy air pollution over the next three days, with children and the elderly being advised to stay indoors.
Beijing, its neighbours Tianjin and Hebei Province, as well as central and western Shandong Province can expect heavy air pollution to linger for a week, according to a joint weather forecast issued by the China Meteorological Administration and the Ministry of Environmental Protection.
The PM 2.5 readings yesterday morning in those regions exceeded 115 micrograms per cubic meter, far above the 25 micrograms level considered safe by the World Health Organisation.
The CMA expects the smog to last for a week as no cold front is in sight to help disperse it, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
Heavy smog is forecast during the next three days in Beijing, the municipality`s office for severe air pollution emergency response said yesterday, issuing a yellow alert.
The yellow alert in Beijing is the first since the municipal government issued one last October. Back then it put into effect an emergency response system.
The office advised local residents to take protective measures, use public transport and reduce driving vehicles. It urged children and the elderly to stay indoors, and middle and primary schools and kindergartens to reduce outdoor activities.
The air quality index at most monitoring stations in the city`s downtown areas exceeded 250 at 9 p.M. Yesterday, the Beijing municipal environmental monitoring center said.
Beijing has a four-tier alert system - blue, yellow, orange and red - to indicate the air pollution level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire