Hen changing colours, scientists studying the phenomenon
Thiruvananthapuram: A hen that changes its colour frequently owned by a farmer at a coastal hamlet near here has evoked keen interest not only among lay men but also
the scientific community.
The Zoologists here are studying the phenomenon as it was the first such documented case.
The six-year old bird, which was black originally, changed its colour four times in the last six years without shedding its plume or any other physical problem.
The bird turned black-and white twice in 2009 while it remained pristine white so far this year, Selvaraj, a farmer from Mukkola village, who owns the wonder bird, said.
"The change of colour of its feathers was noticed after it laid eggs for the first time. The black-coloured bird then became pure white within a year. But its health remained
alright and it did not manifest any other abnormality. It continued to lay eggs also," he said.
According to Dr Oommen V Oommen, a Emeritus Scientist with CSIR, who has been observing the hen since 2008, it is a "rare phenomenon" which deserved detailed study.
"It is an uncommon, freak case. As we do not want to sacrifice the bird, we are attempting external examinations only,” Dr Oommen said.
“Blood and hormone samples of the bird have been collected in 2008, 2009 and 2010 continuously and analysed. Estrogen (female sex hormone) count is found to be very high in the hen than the normal rate, which could be the reason for the phenomenon," Dr Oommen, a former Heald of Department of Zoology at the Kerala University, said.
Estrogen could inhibit pigmentation in femlaes.However, this had to be established after further studies including the genetic aspects of the bird, he said.
The chicks of the bird were also being observed as the farmer had reported that one of them appeared to have the same tendency as the mother bird.
The matter had also been brought to the notice of experts of the Banares Hindu University also, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'