Himalayan glaciers showing consistent recession
New Delhi: A study by the Geological
Survey of India has found that Himalayan glaciers in Gouri Ganga and Alaknanda basin are showing consistent but variable
recession, the government told Lok Sabha on Wednesday.
Milam, Poting and Shankalpa glaciers in Gouri Ganga basin and Dunagiri and Bhagirathi Kharak glaciers in Alaknanada basin have been studied by the GSI, Environment
Minister Jairam Ramesh said in a written reply to a question
in Lok Sabha.
"The rate of recession for Milam glacier glacier is
16.97 meters/year, Poting glacier (05.1 mtrs/year), Shankalpa
(06.8 mts/year), Dunagiri (03.0 mtrs/year), Chaurabri (11.0
mts/year) and Bhagirithi Karak glacier (16.7 mtrs/year).
"Further, the study conducted by the Space Application
Centre(SAC) revealed that out of 32 glaciers of Gouri Ganga
Valley, 20 glaciers have receded between 1990 and 2005 and
showing reduction in their area extent by 3.99 per cent,"
Ramesh said quoting the GSI data.
As per GSI, rescission of glaciers is a natural
process and the majority of the Himalayan glaciers are passing
through a phase of recession, he said.
The likely impact of the glacier recession includes
changes in the river hydrology, increased debris production
and siltation of river in downstream regions.
The Union Minister said that to save the glaciers of
the Himalayan region, the government has developed guidelines
and best practices for sustaining Himalayan Ecosystem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video