Himalayan glaciers showing consistent recession
New Delhi: A study by the Geological
Survey of India has found that Himalayan glaciers in Gouri Ganga and Alaknanda basin are showing consistent but variable
recession, the government told Lok Sabha on Wednesday.
Milam, Poting and Shankalpa glaciers in Gouri Ganga basin and Dunagiri and Bhagirathi Kharak glaciers in Alaknanada basin have been studied by the GSI, Environment
Minister Jairam Ramesh said in a written reply to a question
in Lok Sabha.
"The rate of recession for Milam glacier glacier is
16.97 meters/year, Poting glacier (05.1 mtrs/year), Shankalpa
(06.8 mts/year), Dunagiri (03.0 mtrs/year), Chaurabri (11.0
mts/year) and Bhagirithi Karak glacier (16.7 mtrs/year).
"Further, the study conducted by the Space Application
Centre(SAC) revealed that out of 32 glaciers of Gouri Ganga
Valley, 20 glaciers have receded between 1990 and 2005 and
showing reduction in their area extent by 3.99 per cent,"
Ramesh said quoting the GSI data.
As per GSI, rescission of glaciers is a natural
process and the majority of the Himalayan glaciers are passing
through a phase of recession, he said.
The likely impact of the glacier recession includes
changes in the river hydrology, increased debris production
and siltation of river in downstream regions.
The Union Minister said that to save the glaciers of
the Himalayan region, the government has developed guidelines
and best practices for sustaining Himalayan Ecosystem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Beijing dodges ASEAN rebuke over South China Sea row
- Afghan civilian casualties at record high in first half of 2016: UN
- Nepal likely to form consensus government within seven days of Oli resigning
- Hemant Soren complains against top police officer
- Salman Khan acquitted in black buck poaching cases: Check out mixed reactions on Twitter