Himalayan glaciers showing consistent recession
New Delhi: A study by the Geological
Survey of India has found that Himalayan glaciers in Gouri Ganga and Alaknanda basin are showing consistent but variable
recession, the government told Lok Sabha on Wednesday.
Milam, Poting and Shankalpa glaciers in Gouri Ganga basin and Dunagiri and Bhagirathi Kharak glaciers in Alaknanada basin have been studied by the GSI, Environment
Minister Jairam Ramesh said in a written reply to a question
in Lok Sabha.
"The rate of recession for Milam glacier glacier is
16.97 meters/year, Poting glacier (05.1 mtrs/year), Shankalpa
(06.8 mts/year), Dunagiri (03.0 mtrs/year), Chaurabri (11.0
mts/year) and Bhagirithi Karak glacier (16.7 mtrs/year).
"Further, the study conducted by the Space Application
Centre(SAC) revealed that out of 32 glaciers of Gouri Ganga
Valley, 20 glaciers have receded between 1990 and 2005 and
showing reduction in their area extent by 3.99 per cent,"
Ramesh said quoting the GSI data.
As per GSI, rescission of glaciers is a natural
process and the majority of the Himalayan glaciers are passing
through a phase of recession, he said.
The likely impact of the glacier recession includes
changes in the river hydrology, increased debris production
and siltation of river in downstream regions.
The Union Minister said that to save the glaciers of
the Himalayan region, the government has developed guidelines
and best practices for sustaining Himalayan Ecosystem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers