Homesick tiger found, returned to Panna sanctuary
Bhopal: A "homesick" tiger, that had disrupted Madhya Pradesh forest department`s plans to encourage tiger breeding in the Panna National Park by leaving for his original home in a reserve 400 km away, has been found and brought back to the park Friday, officials said.
The straying tiger which kept the state forest officials on their toes for a month after disappearing from Panna, was caught from Damoh district`s Tendukheda forest region.
"The tiger had been caught and sent back to Panna Tiger Reserve," said Damoh District Forest Sub Divisional Officer HK Dave.
"The tiger was brought to mate with two tigresses translocated to revive the big cat population in Panna but he moved out of the reserve. He has been on the move since November 25," said Principal Chief Conservator of Forests (Wildlife) RS Negi.
"Leaving wildlife scientists baffled, the tiger - tracked 24x7 through a radio collar - has crossed hills, fields, human habitations and rivers, and was moving towards his home at Pench," said Panna National Park director R Sriniwas Murthy.
Negi, however, said the tiger`s moving out of the reserve was not a serious matter as it was yet to form its territory and the place was new for the animal. "Many a time `homing instinct` also drives the big cat back to its original habitat," he said.
The "homing instinct" is the ability of an animal to perceive direction - beyond the usual human senses - and help the lost animal either to return to its home or owners. According to experts, this ability can be attributed to the animal`s sensitivity to the earth`s magnetic field.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!