House sparrow is Delhi`s state bird
New Delhi: The humble house sparrow was Tuesday conferred the status of Delhi`s `state bird`.
The decision was announced at a function to inaugurate the "Rise For The Sparrows" campaign aimed at saving the tiny, endangered bird, said Nature Forever Society chief Mohammed Dilawar. Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was present on the occasion.
"This decision will go a long in raising awareness and attention on the house sparrow and provide an impetus to its conservation efforts all over the world," said Dilawar.
Dikshit`s spokesperson Satpal said the campaign would formally be kicked off Wednesday on the occasion of India`s 65th Independence Day.
Expressing concern over the lack of attention paid to the house sparrow, Dikshit urged Indians to monitor the bird and other common birds Wednesday for 15 minutes and help collect vital data.
She urged people to register with www.cbmi.in and called upon corporates, NGOs and educational institutions to become official partners of the Common Bird Monitoring of India (CBMI).
A brainchild of Dilawar, the CBMI and "Rise For The Sparrow" are aimed at creating awareness on common birds and to attract all sections of Indian society to help in their conservation.
Dilawar urged the Delhi government to incorporate CBMI in its school curriculum and make all educational organisations bird friendly.
He said Delhi was one of the greenest cities in the world and offered tremendous scope for urban conservation, for which the house sparrow would act as a mascot and a bio-indicator.
Dilawar was one of the 30 Heroes of Environment selected by Time in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news