House sparrow is Delhi`s state bird
New Delhi: The humble house sparrow was Tuesday conferred the status of Delhi`s `state bird`.
The decision was announced at a function to inaugurate the "Rise For The Sparrows" campaign aimed at saving the tiny, endangered bird, said Nature Forever Society chief Mohammed Dilawar. Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit was present on the occasion.
"This decision will go a long in raising awareness and attention on the house sparrow and provide an impetus to its conservation efforts all over the world," said Dilawar.
Dikshit`s spokesperson Satpal said the campaign would formally be kicked off Wednesday on the occasion of India`s 65th Independence Day.
Expressing concern over the lack of attention paid to the house sparrow, Dikshit urged Indians to monitor the bird and other common birds Wednesday for 15 minutes and help collect vital data.
She urged people to register with www.cbmi.in and called upon corporates, NGOs and educational institutions to become official partners of the Common Bird Monitoring of India (CBMI).
A brainchild of Dilawar, the CBMI and "Rise For The Sparrow" are aimed at creating awareness on common birds and to attract all sections of Indian society to help in their conservation.
Dilawar urged the Delhi government to incorporate CBMI in its school curriculum and make all educational organisations bird friendly.
He said Delhi was one of the greenest cities in the world and offered tremendous scope for urban conservation, for which the house sparrow would act as a mascot and a bio-indicator.
Dilawar was one of the 30 Heroes of Environment selected by Time in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price