How a cell phone can help save energy
Berlin: A team of scientists has developed an application for cell phones that would help save power by showing the energy consumption of individual devices in the household.
The application was recently unveiled at the Fraunhofer Institute for Applied Information Technology (FIT) in Sankt Augustin, Germany.
The basis for this program is the "Hydra" middleware developed by the institute which is extended by an energy protocol.
A middleware reduces the workload of programmers. In Hydra``s case, it is reduced by administering the communication between devices.
Each device is given a power plogg, which is a small adapter located between the power plug and the power outlet.
It reports the power consumption at any given time to a PC via a radio signal.
People can tell which device is guzzling the most energy by taking a look at the computer monitor.
But, the FIT experts have also provided a far more convenient way to access the information.
"Using a cell phone as the display and control unit allows people to check the energy consumed by their devices or appliances," explained Dr. Markus Eisenhauer, who developed the system.
"For example, it can be used to display the consumption by room, switch devices on and off, and dim lights," he added.
"And there is another special attraction: The cell phone``s camera can be used as a "magic lens". Point the camera at the device in question, and the power consumption at the moment is shown," he said.
A server stores pictures of the individual devices, taken from a number of directions.
When the function is activated, the cell phone sends the picture taken to the server, which then compares the picture with the ones in its database.
As soon as it has recognized the device, it determines the power consumption at the time as reported by the associated power plogg, and sends this information back to the cell phone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death