How ‘bees see world’
Washington: Scientists have developed FReD – the Floral Reflectance Database – which holds data on what colours flowers appear to be, to bees.
The work by researchers at Queen Mary, University of London and Imperial College London addresses the existing issue that records of flower colours do not take the visual systems of pollinator insects into account.
Bees – for example – have evolved completely different colour detection mechanisms to humans, and can see colours outside our own capabilities in the ultra-violet range.
"This research highlights that the world we see is not the physical or the ``real`` world – different animals have very different senses, depending on the environment the animals operate in," Professor Lars Chittka from Queen Mary`s School of Biological and Chemical Sciences said.
Chittka and his team have measured the spectral reflectance of a number of flowers in different locations and analysed what bumblebees perceive, including different shades of ultra-violet.
Queen Mary PhD student Sarah Arnold, who was also involved with the project, said: "We have created a database in which the colours of flowers are indexed from this vitally important pollinator`s point of view. For the first time, this database will allow us to analyse global trends in flower colour, for example how flower colours might change in areas with high UV radiation. There are many possible applications for scientists from different fields."
The work has been reported in the journal PLoS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31