How plants respond to changing environment in geological time
Washington: In order to understand past climate and response of plants to the changing climate, researchers have discovered more than ten well preserved Neogene plant fossil sites in Southwestern China after ten years` survey.
As the only direct evidence of past life, fossils provide important information on the interactions between plants and environmental change. Comparing closely related fossils from different geological periods is an efficient method to understand how plants respond to climatic change across a large scale.
In the recent study, Prof. Zhou`s group investigated detailed micro-morphology of a dominant element in Neogene fossil sites, Quercus delavayi complex- one oak species- to answer this question.
The results showed that Quercus delavayi complex from different periods share similar leaf morphology, but differ with respect to trichome and stomatal densities. The stomatal density of the Q. delavayi complex was the highest during the late Miocene, declined in the late Pliocene, and then increased during the present epoch.
These values showed an inverse relationship with atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Since the late Miocene, a gradual reduction in trichome base density has occurred in this complex. This trend is the opposite of that of precipitation, indicating that increased trichome density is not an adaptation to dry environments.
These results are important to understand the relationship between plant evolution and climatic change which are important to predict the fate of current biodiversity in a changing environment.
The study is published in Chinese science bulletin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre