How to determine the age of a lobster figured out
Portland: Scientists have finally figured out how to determine the age of a lobster.
Scientists already knew how to tell a fish`s age by counting the growth rings found in its inner ear and a scallop or clam`s age from the rings of its shell.
But nobody knows how old lobsters can live to be. Some people estimate they live to over 100. Before now it was thought that when lobsters, shrimp and crabs molt, they shed all parts of their bodies that might record annual growth bands.
Raouf Kilada of the University of New Brunswick and other researchers found that growth rings are found in a lobster`s eyestalk and in teeth-like structures in their stomachs used to grind up food.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- It's a Black Hole Friday for NASA!
- Shocking! Anurag Basu feels Salman Khan is ‘boring’?
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife