HP CM Dhumal administers green pledge to public
Shimla: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal, on the occasion of the World Environment Day Tuesday, administered a pledge to the people of the state to protect the environment.
Through advertisements in newspapers, Dhumal has appealed to the people to follow a nine-point code in their day-to-day life to conserve and protect nature.
The pledge aims to protect trees and wildlife, avoid use of non-biodegradable disposable items, preserve water, and conserve energy by switching off lights and other appliances when not in use.
To develop green habits among school children, the state government in May 2010 started the practice of administering a pledge to protect the environment during the morning prayer session in all government and private schools.
Himachal Pradesh is most vulnerable to climate change as the Himalayan glaciers have been retreating due to global warming.
The total geographical area of the hill state is 55,673 sq km, out of which 66.5 percent, that is 37,033 sq km, is classified as forest region.
The state is one of the storehouses of biodiversity in the country. Of the 45,000 species of flora species found in the country, 3,295 species are found in the Himachal Pradesh. It is the largest supplier of chilgoza pinenut, kuth medicinal plant, dioscorea wild yam, dhoop incense, picrorrhiza, valeriana and ephedra in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa