Huge chunk of Argentina`s glacier collapses
London: Part of the Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina`s Patagonia has broken off putting on a spectacular show, a newspaper reported Monday.
The glacier, a massive chunk of ice in the Santa Cruz province that covers about 156 sq km, advances yearly into a lake, known as Lago Argentino.
As Perito Moreno moves forward, it cuts off a river feeding the lake. Water builds up pressure and slowly undermines the ice, forming a tunnel until ice comes tumbling down.
Some 2,500 tourists lined up at observation decks and cheered as the ice splashed into the water.
The phenomenon repeats itself at irregular intervals, with the last major ice falls occurring in 2008, the newspaper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown