Huge chunk of Argentina`s glacier collapses
London: Part of the Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina`s Patagonia has broken off putting on a spectacular show, a newspaper reported Monday.
The glacier, a massive chunk of ice in the Santa Cruz province that covers about 156 sq km, advances yearly into a lake, known as Lago Argentino.
As Perito Moreno moves forward, it cuts off a river feeding the lake. Water builds up pressure and slowly undermines the ice, forming a tunnel until ice comes tumbling down.
Some 2,500 tourists lined up at observation decks and cheered as the ice splashed into the water.
The phenomenon repeats itself at irregular intervals, with the last major ice falls occurring in 2008, the newspaper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police