Huge chunk of Argentina`s glacier collapses
London: Part of the Perito Moreno glacier in Argentina`s Patagonia has broken off putting on a spectacular show, a newspaper reported Monday.
The glacier, a massive chunk of ice in the Santa Cruz province that covers about 156 sq km, advances yearly into a lake, known as Lago Argentino.
As Perito Moreno moves forward, it cuts off a river feeding the lake. Water builds up pressure and slowly undermines the ice, forming a tunnel until ice comes tumbling down.
Some 2,500 tourists lined up at observation decks and cheered as the ice splashed into the water.
The phenomenon repeats itself at irregular intervals, with the last major ice falls occurring in 2008, the newspaper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in