Hundreds of fish found dead in Vellode birds sanctuary
Erode: Hundreds of fish were found floating dead in a tank at Vellode birds sanctuary in the district with officials suspecting low water storage due to poor rains to be the reason behind the deaths.
Forest officials led by Conservator of Forest D Arun visited the 77-acre sanctuary after some villagers noticed the dead fish and informed them yesterday, officials said.
Arun said the water level in the tank had decreased drastically due to failure of rains which might have led to oxygen deficiency, causing the death of the fish.
He would take up the matter with the Public Works Department and seek release of some water into the tank through Lower Bhavani Project Canal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics