Hundreds of fish found dead in Vellode birds sanctuary
Erode: Hundreds of fish were found floating dead in a tank at Vellode birds sanctuary in the district with officials suspecting low water storage due to poor rains to be the reason behind the deaths.
Forest officials led by Conservator of Forest D Arun visited the 77-acre sanctuary after some villagers noticed the dead fish and informed them yesterday, officials said.
Arun said the water level in the tank had decreased drastically due to failure of rains which might have led to oxygen deficiency, causing the death of the fish.
He would take up the matter with the Public Works Department and seek release of some water into the tank through Lower Bhavani Project Canal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez