Hundreds of fish found dead in Vellode birds sanctuary
Erode: Hundreds of fish were found floating dead in a tank at Vellode birds sanctuary in the district with officials suspecting low water storage due to poor rains to be the reason behind the deaths.
Forest officials led by Conservator of Forest D Arun visited the 77-acre sanctuary after some villagers noticed the dead fish and informed them yesterday, officials said.
Arun said the water level in the tank had decreased drastically due to failure of rains which might have led to oxygen deficiency, causing the death of the fish.
He would take up the matter with the Public Works Department and seek release of some water into the tank through Lower Bhavani Project Canal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off