India 5th in wind power generation with 1,700 MW added in 2013
New Delhi: India ranked fifth among top ten wind power producers in the world by adding 1,700 MW capacity in 2013, a global report on renewable energy said.
More than 35,000 MW wind power capacity was added worldwide in 2013 taking the total to 3,18,000 MW, to which India contributed 1,700 MW, said the Renewables 2014 Global Status Report.
"China was the leading wind power producer by adding 16,100 MW capacity in 2013, followed by the US, Germany and Spain," the report said.
In terms of annual investment in the wind energy sector and production, China ranked number one followed by Germany, Britain, India and Canada.
The costs of electricity generation from onshore wind and solar energy have fallen sharply over the past few years, which has resulted in an increase in wind and solar power projects being built without public financial support, according to the report.
"The wind industry continued to be challenged by downward pressure on prices, increased competition among turbine manufacturers, decline in key markets among other reasons," it said.
About 40,000 MW of new hydro power capacity was commissioned in 2013 increasing the total global capacity by 4 percent to around 1,000,000 MW.
China commissioned the most capacity in 2013 with 29,000 MW, while significant capacity was also added in Turkey, Brazil, Vietnam, India and Russia, the report said
India plans to increase its generation capacity to 55,000 MW by 2017 from the current level of around 30,000 MW.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan