India announces clean energy research projects
New Delhi: India today announced three clean energy sector-related research projects which will be led by a joint consortium of institutes based here and in the US.
The research projects would be under the aegis of the Indo-US Joint Clean Energy Research and Development Center (JCERDC) announced by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and US President Barack Obama in November last year.
A consortia of institutes led by Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Denver will work in the area of sustainable photo-voltaics, multi-scale concentrated solar power and solar energy integration.
Hyderabad-based Indian Institute of Chemical Technology and University of Florida-led consortia will work on second generation bio-fuels.
The group of institutes led by CEPT University, Ahmedabad and the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory will focus on integration of information technology with building controls and physical systems for designing energy efficient buildings.
These three consortia, selected by the Ministry of Science and Technology, will receive Rs 125 crore in funding from the government over five years under the JCERDC, an official release said.
This first-of-a-kind effort is a key component of the US and India`s commitment to improve energy access and promote low-carbon growth by facilitating joint research and development of clean energy technologies, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31