India, ASEAN to explore renewable energy
New Delhi: The first ministerial meeting between ASEAN and India on renewable energy cooperation Wednesday discussed policy and regulatory frameworks for promoting renewable energy in ASEAN member countries and India.
The meeting was designed to increase interactions at institutional as well as industry levels among ASEAN countries and India.
Inaugurating the meeting here, India`s Minister of New and Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah said every citizen of the ASEAN-India region should have access to clean and affordable energy. The meeting was a unique opportunity to catalyse the India-ASEAN renewable energy family.
Abdullah said ASEAN and India have several commonalities in their quest for targetting renewable energy. India`s renewable energy programme is primarily private sector-driven and offers significant investment and business opportunities, he added.
Many ASEAN countries at the meeting sought cooperation in solar, wind, biomass and small hydro technologies, including capacity building, from India.
Ministers from Brunei, Malaysia and Vietnam were at the meeting. Other delegations were headed by respective ambassadors and high commissioners.
An official said the meeting was hosted to celebrate the completion of 20 years of the ASEAN-India partnership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them