India, China release first joint report on climate
Zee Media Bureau
Beijing: At a time when the two countries are facing similar challenges in dealing with
the issues of climate change, India and China on Tuesday released a joint report for the first time to address the rising environmental problems in their cities.
`The China India Low Carbon Study`, which is the first project of its kind was launched on the sidelines of the third Strategic Economic Dialogue (SED), in Beijing.
Nobel Peace Prize winner and chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Rajendra K Pachauri, who released the report said the study examines the main factors in low carbon development - financing, low carbon technologies and on-the-ground implementation.
“The two countries operate in similar contexts in terms of local and global environmental issues that confront them today and will become increasingly important in the future,” Pachauri said.
“While economic capabilities and institutional systems vary between the two, coordinated knowledge-driven processes between China and India will be instrumental in moving both toward global sustainability goals,” he added.
On Monday, he cautioned that pollution levels are rising progressively in New Delhi and other cities.
While the recent study by Yale University - according to which pollution levels in New Delhi were higher than in Beijing - might have quoted data from the worst period of the year, the data by the Met officials in Delhi has gaps too, he said.
“It may very well be the study they are quoting is that of the worst period during the year,” he said, responding to a question.
However, he also said that the situation is progressively getting worse in Delhi and Bangalore and even in second-rung cities like Ludhiana.
According to 2012 data, China is world`s top carbon dioxide emitter and India is the third highest emitter after the US.
Providing practical recommendations for greater bilateral cooperation between the two countries, the study will help both India and China to share experiences, promote knowledge exchange as well as aid in the fight against global warming.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter