India, China to cooperate over Himalayan glaciers: Jairam
London: India and China are in talks to
monitor the melting of glaciers in the Himalayas, a border
region crucial to both countries` water supplies, Minister for
Environment Jairam Ramesh has said.
"We are talking to the Chinese about monitoring the
Himalayan glaciers," Ramesh told the a newspaper.
However, he said India would not allow Chinese
scientists "to climb all over India`s glaciers" but wanted a
collaborative research programme.
He said as part of a scientific investigation into the
health of what are called the `Water Towers of Asia`, academic
research bodies on both sides of the mountain range would
He said New Delhi is open to dialogue on water resources
with Beijing, adding the two countries shared the concerns.
Ramesh is visiting China this month to strike a deal
with Beijing ahead of the Copenhagen talks on climate change
He said India and China could be a "countervailing
power" in resisting legally binding caps on greenhouse
emissions that threaten to slow the progress of the two
fastest growing economies.
The Himalayan region and the Tibet plateau are
strategically sensitive for the two countries.
Seven of the world`s greatest rivers, including the
Ganges and the Yangtze, are fed by glaciers, and supply water
to about 40 percent of the world`s population.
A newspaper report said the Indian government
has disputed the "doomsday predictions" linking melting of
Himalayan glaciers to climate change, saying there is no
evidence to support that glaciers will disappear within 40
"It`s a highly emotive issue but one has to be a little
careful before we write the epitaph of the Himalayan
glaciers," Ramesh said.
Indian government has requested that the Indian Space
Research Organisation (ISRO) and the department of science and
technology undertake extensive glacial surveys across the
eastern and western Himalayas to assess their condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes