India committed to UNFCCC: Manmohan Singh
Brasilia: Keeping up pressure on rich
nations to take legally binding emission cuts, India Thursday
made clear that it was committed to the UN Framework
Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) which is based on the
principle of common but differentiated responsibilities.
Addressing the Brazil-Russia-India-China Summit here,
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said the BRIC Approach to
the Cancun Conference, to be held in Mexico in December,
should be anchored within the UNFCCC, the Kyoto Protocol and
the Bali Roadmap.
"Technology will be a key element in our strategy to
meet the challenge of climate change. Each of us has our own
strengths in climate-friendly technologies."
"If we pool our best scientific and technological
resources, BRIC nations can set a fine example in promoting
collaborative development, deployment and dissemination of
clean energy and renewable technologies," he said in his first
speech on climate change at the international fora after the
Copenhagen Summit last year.
The Prime Minister`s comments come close on heels of
the developed countries threatening to cut vital aid to the
developing nations if they do not back the deal agreed at the
UN climate summit in Copenhagen.
It has also reflected the rich nations` reluctance to
keep their promises of providing financial, technological and
capacity-building support to developing countries to help them
counter climate change.
India along with other developing nations have argued
that developed countries should create a global mechanism
whereby existing technologies that can make a significant
change in meeting challenges be diffused as rapidly and widely
At the 194-nation summit in Copenhagen, India along
with three other countries Brazil, South Africa and China
brokered a non-binding agreement with the US which is now
"endorsed" by more than 112 countries.
They include 14 African countries that depend on
aid from the EU, UK and France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report