`India could protect its interests fully at Doha`
New Delhi: The Doha climate talks could not take "ambitious or meaningful decisions" on financing commitments of developed countries, the government today said.
However, India could protect its interests "fully" and succeeded in bringing the three issues of "Equity, Technology-related IPRs (Intellectual Property Rights) and the Unilateral Measures firmly back on the table", it said.
"Among the key concerns which the conference could not address are those relating to financing commitments of developed countries, sectoral actions and the issue of compensation for loss and damage arising from climate change," the government said two days after the conclusion of the Doha conference.
"Despite pitched demand from vulnerable countries, there could be no satisfactory agreement on compensation mechanism for loss and damage resulting from climate change," an official statement said.
According to the government, the key questions at Doha were amending the Kyoto Protocol-- only global agreement that obliges developed nations to cut carbon emissions--, successfully concluding the work of the Bali Action Plan and planning the work under the Durban Platform for enhanced action which was agreed to at Durban last year.
"The conference addressed all the three issues and came out with a package which balanced the interests and obligations of various countries," the statement said.
"The Doha Conference has succeeded in carrying out amendments to the Kyoto Protocol making the second commitment period of emission reduction by Kyoto Protocol parties effective immediately beginning January 1, 2013," it said.
On India`s interests, it said that "the reassertion" of the principle of Equity and CBDR (Common but differentiated responsibilities) which have "remained muted since Copenhagen" was the single biggest gain from Doha.
"The Conference has explicitly recognised that the action of parties will be based on equity and CBDR including the need for equitable access to sustainable development," the government said.
"The decisions have also avoided quantitative target for global emissions reduction or global peaking that could place a cap on emissions of developing countries and restrict their development space," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered