India for accelerated deployment of green tech
New Delhi: India today pitched for
accelerating deployment and diffusion of green technologies to
tackle climate change, saying that it was the quickest way to
lower the cost of the renewable options.
A two-day climate change conference, attended by 58
delegations and 30 ministers, favoured speeding up large scale
global deployment of environmentally sound and climate
friendly technologies as a step to check global warming.
"The quickest way of lowering the cost of many renewable
options is to scale up their rate of deployment and diffusion
in developing countries," Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh
said summarising the proceedings of the conference.
The Delhi High Level Conference of Technology Development
and Transfer adopted a Delhi Statement which also called for
increased public financing in technology development.
Danish Climate Minister Connie Hedegaard said the
adaptation and mitigation efforts to tackle climate change
would require "three digit billion dollars" every year.
"Without money there will be deal in Copenhagen,"
Hedegaard said underlining that the world cannot afford a
failure in the climate change negotiations to replace the
Delegates felt that there should be a "special mechanism
under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change for
technology transfer, development and deployment, supported by
a special fund, with periodic assessment of performance, and a
mechanism to oversee the functioning of the IPR regime
for climate and development goals," Ramesh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical