India least green country for electric cars: Report
London: India has been classified as the least green country to make and drive electric cars, according to a study.
According to an analysis by independent research group, Shrink That Footprint, heavily coal-based power generation in India results in from electric car emissions similar to traditional petrol vehicles.
A fully electric car generates emissions comparable to a 20 MPG petrol vehicle, the report found after assessing the impact of grid-powered electric vehicles (EVs) in 20 of the world`s leading countries.
Paraguay, which produces five times more hydro-electricity than it uses, was found to be the greenest place on earth for electric cars, producing emissions comparable to a 218 MPG petrol vehicle.
Iceland comes in a close second as the greenest place to drive an electric car with Sweden, Brazil and France following close behind.
Shades of Green: Electric Cars` Carbon Emissions Around the Globe also found China, with its coal-based power generation, in the bottom rung but less carbon intensive than India.
"This work highlights just how much the climate benefit of going electric varies around the world. To achieve their carbon reduction potential, electric cars need to be deployed in tandem with low carbon electricity," Lindsay Wilson, lead author of the analysis, said.
In the US, the shale gas boom is rapidly lowering electric driving emissions by displacing coal generation.
Key research areas of Shrink That Footprint group include housing, travel, food, product and service emissions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi