India may announce carbon targets linked to economic growth
Beijing: India may come out with its own carbon emission targets that may be based on its economic growth levels, ahead of the climate summit in Copenhagen.
An indication to this effect was given by environment
Minister Jairam Ramesh who met Premier Wen Jiabao, a day after
China announced massive emission cut target up to 45 per cent
Ramesh and Wen are believed to have discussed the
strategies the two countries may adopt at the Copenhagen
climate summit next month.
The Chinese government is said to have confirmed to him
its opposition to allowing any international review of its
environmental progamme, including carbon emission reduction, a
stand India has also shared.
India is surprised by the high level of emission cuts
announced by China yesterday by which it has pledged to reduce
its carbon intensity by 40 to 45 per cent by 2020.
The minister is believed to be of the view that India
cannot ignore emission target levels fixed on their own by
countries like China, Brazil and South Africa. But India`s
targets may not be as high as that of China.
Ahead of his visit to China, Ramesh had said that "we
(India and China) are on same page as far as negotiations are
concerned but not as far as emissions are concerned. China
today is the world`s leading carbon emitter while India is on
the fifth position."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands