India must develop own climate model: US expert
New Delhi: India is amongst the countries most vulnerable to climate change and must develop its own model to study changes at the regional level and take necessary mitigation measures, a senior US scientist of Indian origin said.
Anjuli S. Bamzai, program director of the Climate and Large Scale Dynamics Program of the National Science Foundation (NSF), a US government agency, said India has a historic database of 130 years of weather and it can be used for climate modelling. The country has a monsoon model but not a climate model.
"It will be great if India has its own climate model (to know the changes in climate at regional level). China has two climate models and the US has three, while India is using its model mainly for predicting the monsoon," Bamzai, who is visiting India, told IANS.
Scientists across the world run climate models -- a computer-based system -- to understand and predict the behaviour of climate.
The system aims to answer questions such as what might happen if greenhouse gas concentrations double.
Climate modelling allows scientists to understand expected changes in climate in the next few years. Based on this, governments take policy measures to prepare themselves to deal with the challenges likely to be posed by climate change.
If India has its own climate model, Bamzai said, it can predict the changes in climate and form policy measures to deal with it.
Bamzai, a postgraduate from the Indian Institute of Technology-Mumbai, said India as of now uses the IPCC model despite maintaining a huge database of weather patterns.
IPCC is a UN-backed Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that was established in 1988 to assess the risk of human-induced climate change.
"India has a big tradition of generating monsoon data. The process of collecting weather data started in India some 130 years back with the setting up of the India Meteorological Department. This historic database can be used for climate modelling," said Bamzai, whose family is originally from Kashmir and is now settled in the US.
"India is in a real good position and with good data available, it can study paleo climate (past climate) to understand changes during the course of time and predict the future," she added.
She said the US and India had mutual interest in cooperating in studying climate change and improving monsoon forecasts.
The NSF has funded the projects of some Indian scientists to study the impact of climatic changes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'