‘India not to be a `deal-breaker` in new climate pact’
United Nations: Blamed for the deadlock in
climate change talks along with China, India says it will be a
"deal-maker" and not a "deal-breaker" and would like to be
part of a solution to hammer a new global climate pact.
Ahead of the UN climate summit of world leaders to be
opened by President Barack Obama, India also said the present
crisis on climate change is the "inability" of the US to put
on the table credible emissions reduction targets for 2020.
"We are not part of the problem but we want to be part
of the solution," Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh told
reporters. The New York meet came ahead of the crucial UN
Conference on Climate Change in Copenhagen in December.
Ramesh said it was wrong to blame India for the deadlock
on the global climate change talks and that it was prepared to
be an "active player in working towards an agreement."
Asked about India being dubbed uncooperative and
stubborn, Jairam said: "Not at all. I think the world is
completely wrong on this. We have got an image that is
contrary to what we have been doing.
The message that I am trying to convey is that we have
not caused the problem of global warming but we want to be
part of the solution at Copenhagen. We want to be a deal maker
not the deal breaker."
The previous George W. Bush administration in the US long
cited inaction by China and India as the reason for rejecting
mandatory cuts in greenhouse gases.
Ramesh said India`s national climate plan envisages
voluntar mitigation measures by 2020.
Ramesh and climate change expert Rajendra Pachauri also
underlined the need for the US to bring about a "lifestyle
change" to combat climate change.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Three linked to California terror attack arrested
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped