India seeks equity and universal energy access by 2030
New Delhi: India today made a strong call for equity and universal energy access by the year 2030 for all at the meeting of the UN Secretary General`s High Level
Panel for Global Sustainability.
Participating at the meeting of the Panel at Helsinki, capital of Finland, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh put forward three detailed papers prepared by Indian experts with his inputs which include Equity in the context of Sustainable Development, Universal Energy Access by 2030 and Sustainable Development: A Proposal for a New Indicator.
"India`s papers were widely appreciated by other panel members and will form the basis for further discussion. India also shared a presentation on its experiences with the
`Rights-based Approach` which relies on giving legal entitlements to citizens as a means of empowerment and improved service delivery," said a statement issued by the
The models of India`s Right to Information (RTI) Act, the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA), the Right to Education Act and the Forest Rights Act, were keenly discussed and panelists felt it was an approach that has important lessons for both developing and developed countries, many of whom are still striving for such an inclusive paradigm, it said.
A discussion of the Rights-based Approach will form a key component of the panel`s final report, the statement added.
The UN High Level Panel on Global Sustainability was established in September 2010 by the UN Secretary General with the aim of developing a set of substantive recommendations for the world`s sustainability agenda.
The panel is chaired by President Jacob Zuma of South Africa and President Tarja Hallonen of Finland and has 20 other members from across the world.
In his intervention at the meeting, Ramesh highlighted the "international sclerosis" which has come to afflict global environmental issues, even as public awareness and domestic actions have expanded over the last two decades.
He spoke of the need for an "economic anchor" to underlie international discussions on environmental issues, and the need to mainstream metrics like per capita income in
the discussion, with increasing international obligations being linked to levels of and increments in per capita income.
The Minister also spoke of the need to mainstream biodiversity, especially marine biodiversity in sustainability discussions.
The UN Panel will continue its work over the next few months, and submit a final report to the UN Secretary General by November 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared