India slams parties to Copenhagen Accord
New Delhi: India on Sunday slammed the US and
other parties to the Copenhagen Accord for failing to deliver
"fast track" financial obligations to Least Developed
Countries (LDCs) and other nations facing the risk of climate
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh said the United
States and other parties to the Copenhagen Accord had agreed
to raise USD 30 billion for helping poor nations most at risk
of climate change.
"The continued inability to deliver on fast track
finance to my mind is a betrayal of the trust and the betrayal
of a grand bargain at Copenhagen," he told reporters after the
conclusion of Sixth BASIC Ministerial Meeting on Climate
The BASIC nations are Brazil, South Africa, India and
"USD 30 billion was the total commitment for 2010, 2011
and 2012. I would be surprised, if the total disbursement
exceeds two digits so far," Ramesh said at the joint press
conference attended by Vice Chairman of the National
Development and Reform Commission of China Xie Zhenhua,
Brazilian Environment Minister Izabella Monica Vieira Teixeira
and his South African counterpart Bomo Edith Edna Molewa.
The minister said the United States "includes 26 million
dollars funding to India" as part of the fast track funding
"And today my Brazilian colleague gave me example of
how some funding for Brazil is included as part of the EU fast
track finance. Fast track finance must meet two conditions.
No.1 it must be new and additional. No 2, it must be to
Africa, small island states and LDCs," he said.
"I think this remains to my mind the single biggest
disappointment ever since the Copenhagen Accord was signed,"
At the United Nations` climate change conference in
Copenhagen 14 months ago, the US and other parties to the
Copenhagen Accord had agreed for fast track finance meant for
Africa, small island states and the LDCs, which are at risk of
flooding, drought, disease outbreaks and other catastrophes
caused by climate change.
Ramesh said it was "highly regrettable and most
unfortunate" that even after the 14 months of Copenhagen
Accord "there is hardly been any significant disbursal".
The Maldives Environment Minister who attended the BASIC
Plus meeting has said that it had received no funding, he
Today`s meeting was also attended by representatives of
Argentina, which is going to be the chair of the G-77 group
from 2011, and special representative of the Environment
Minister of Algeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow