India, Switzerland join hands to study Himalayan glaciers
New Delhi: Glaciologists from India and Switzerland today kickstarted joint efforts towards building a comprehensive network to monitor Himalayan glaciers.
As many as 28 scientists from research institutes across India and Switzerland are participating in a four-week capacity-building programme on Himalayan Glaciology which was inaugurated by Thirumalachari Ramasami, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology.
"The programme will directly contribute towards fulfilment of one of the key objectives of National Mission for Sustaining the Himalayan Ecosystem (NMSHE). Establishment of a comprehensive network and creation of human capacities for monitoring glaciers in the Indian Himalayas is an important component of NMSHE," officials said.
"The programme is an opportunity for Swiss scientists and experts to collaborate with their Indian counterparts to seek and identify areas of mutual interest for research," Linus von Castelmur, Ambassador of Switzerland to India, said.
He said the programme provided an opportunity for strengthening capacities of Indian researchers and institutions involved in research on climate change and glaciology.
Ramasami asked the participants to benefit from the cumulative knowledge and expertise of some of the best Swiss and Indian faculties in enhancing their understanding as well as contributing to new knowledge for country to plan its policy action for sustaining the Himalayan ecosystem.
The four-week programme is being organised by the School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'