India, Switzerland join hands to study Himalayan glaciers
New Delhi: Glaciologists from India and Switzerland today kickstarted joint efforts towards building a comprehensive network to monitor Himalayan glaciers.
As many as 28 scientists from research institutes across India and Switzerland are participating in a four-week capacity-building programme on Himalayan Glaciology which was inaugurated by Thirumalachari Ramasami, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology.
"The programme will directly contribute towards fulfilment of one of the key objectives of National Mission for Sustaining the Himalayan Ecosystem (NMSHE). Establishment of a comprehensive network and creation of human capacities for monitoring glaciers in the Indian Himalayas is an important component of NMSHE," officials said.
"The programme is an opportunity for Swiss scientists and experts to collaborate with their Indian counterparts to seek and identify areas of mutual interest for research," Linus von Castelmur, Ambassador of Switzerland to India, said.
He said the programme provided an opportunity for strengthening capacities of Indian researchers and institutions involved in research on climate change and glaciology.
Ramasami asked the participants to benefit from the cumulative knowledge and expertise of some of the best Swiss and Indian faculties in enhancing their understanding as well as contributing to new knowledge for country to plan its policy action for sustaining the Himalayan ecosystem.
The four-week programme is being organised by the School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report