India, Switzerland join hands to study Himalayan glaciers
New Delhi: Glaciologists from India and Switzerland today kickstarted joint efforts towards building a comprehensive network to monitor Himalayan glaciers.
As many as 28 scientists from research institutes across India and Switzerland are participating in a four-week capacity-building programme on Himalayan Glaciology which was inaugurated by Thirumalachari Ramasami, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology.
"The programme will directly contribute towards fulfilment of one of the key objectives of National Mission for Sustaining the Himalayan Ecosystem (NMSHE). Establishment of a comprehensive network and creation of human capacities for monitoring glaciers in the Indian Himalayas is an important component of NMSHE," officials said.
"The programme is an opportunity for Swiss scientists and experts to collaborate with their Indian counterparts to seek and identify areas of mutual interest for research," Linus von Castelmur, Ambassador of Switzerland to India, said.
He said the programme provided an opportunity for strengthening capacities of Indian researchers and institutions involved in research on climate change and glaciology.
Ramasami asked the participants to benefit from the cumulative knowledge and expertise of some of the best Swiss and Indian faculties in enhancing their understanding as well as contributing to new knowledge for country to plan its policy action for sustaining the Himalayan ecosystem.
The four-week programme is being organised by the School of Environmental Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'