India to release low carbon report on May 9
New Delhi: India will Monday release an interim report on how India can grow with less carbon emissions, officials said Saturday.
The report `Low carbon strategies for inclusive growth`, prepared by the Expert Group set up by the Planning Commission under the leadership of Kirit Parikh, will highlight the policies needed for a low carbon growth.
The report will be presented to Planning Commission deputy chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia and union Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh Monday.
The report looks at four broad areas -- increasing efficiency of thermal energy; changing supply mix of electricity with renewable, nuclear and hydel; suggesting alternate energy options available in industries like steel and cement, and transport sector.
This 25-member group was constituted in January 2010 to conform to the country`s commitment to transform into a "low carbon" economy. India had announced voluntary targets to reduce the emissions intensity of its Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by 20-25 percent to the level of 2005.
The recommendations made by the group are to be included in the 12th five-year plan (2012-17).
Nitin Desai, former under secretary-general of Economic and Social Affairs at United Nations; Ajay Mathur, Bureau of Energy Efficiency; Jamshed Irani of Tata Sons and Pawan Goenka of Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) are among the other members of the group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM