India, US join hands to tackle illegal wildlife trade
New Delhi: India and the US have decided to join hands to tackle illegal wildlife trade, which involves billions of dollars annually.
US and Indian government officials, representatives of NGOs, wildlife lawyers and enforcement officials today discussed some of their challenges, and successes in combating wildlife trafficking in the roundtable organised by the US Embassy and WWF/TRAFFIC India--two global organisations engaged in wildlife related issues--here.
"The United States and India have worked together on wildlife conservation for over 25 years. We will continue to work together to combat poaching, manage our wildlife resources, improve enforcement capacity, and reduce consumer demand for illegal wildlife products," said a joint statement issued after the meeting.
Co-chairing a panel discussion on Illegal Trade in Wildlife with WWF-India CEO and Secretary General Ravi Singh, US Under Secretary of State for Economic Growth, Energy, and Environment Robert D Hormats emphasised the need for high- level political will, public outreach, and greater international coordination and cooperation to combat wildlife trafficking.
He was also of the opinion that regional enforcement networks such as the South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN) should be strengthened to deal with the problem.
Singh noted the intimate link between the decline of India`s wildlife species, and alarming trends in illegal wildlife trafficking.
"It is imperative that issues of illegal wildlife trade should be taken up in a strategic manner, linking national agencies and senior government executives. Here, the US government can be an important partner on global wildlife intelligence, networking and sharing of best practices in enforcement," he said.
According to the WWF-India, illegal wildlife trade is estimated at USD 10-20 billion annually, and is among the largest sources of illegal trade.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata