Indian project declared winner of Environment Day Challenge
United Nations: A Chennai-based development organisation is among the five winners of this year`s World Environment Day Challenge organised by the UN for inspiring environmental action.
The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) had challenged people across the world to pledge an environmental activity in connection with this year`s World Environment Day, which was observed on June 5.
"Today we celebrate five inspiring projects, submitted for the World Environment Day 2012 challenge, that illuminate the pathway to a transition to a green economy," UNEP?s Executive Director Achim Steiner said.
Among the winners is a Chennai-based development organisation `Hand in Hand India.
It brought together over 500 volunteers to create a colourful 10,000 square foot rangoli carpet depicting 10 environmental themes.
Other projects that won include Fundacion Ecoprogreso, a group in Colombia that works to protect a mangrove lagoon surrounding the city of Cartagena.
Maji Mazuri Centre International, located in Nairobi, runs an initiative called Green Heroes, in which youth focus on organising and improving waste management in the Kenyan capital`s informal Mathare settlement.
Among its events for World Environment Day were a communal clean-up day and a football match that galvanised over 2,000 people.
Asutralia`s Sunshine Coast Environment Council is also among the winner of this year’s challenge.
A Bangladeshi non-profit organization, Shidhulai Swanirvar Sangstha, which celebrated the day through a solar-powered boat rally, a drawing competition on floating schools and an exhibition on a two-tier boat also declared winner of the competition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor