Indian toilet model to be used in Afghanistan
New Delhi: Low-cost lavatory technique, developed by an Indian NGO, will be adopted by the US Army to build public toilets in Afghanistan, a senior US military official said.
The US troops will build at least 40 toilet complexes linked with biogas generation plants in Kandahar as a part of the reconstruction process in the country.
The technical know-how of the model designed by Sulabh International would also be shared with the Afghan government so that it can be used in other parts of the country, said Maj Edward T Mears at the engineering wing of the US Army in Afghanistan.
"I would like to share these designs with the Kabul ministry and Afghanistan Ministry of Energy and Water. I would like to know specifically about volume of the digesters and factors for expected biogas generation," the official wrote in a letter to Sulabh.
Sulabh has already built five community toilets in Kabul as a part of reconstruction projects funded by India.
Bindeshwar Pathak, founder of the Sulabh, has vowed to provide all assistance required to build more such toilets that are "economically sustainable as they are based on pay-and-use system".
"The system is not only useful for sanitation but also generate bio-fuel which is considered one of the vital non-conventional energy sources," Pathak said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack