India`s mangrove cover increases, Guj takes lead
New Delhi: India recorded a net increase of 23.34 sqkm of mangrove cover between 2009 and 2011, thanks to efforts of one of the most industrialised states, Gujarat, in planting and regenerating the ecosystem rich in biodiversity.
The new biennial assessment report by the Forest Survey of India (FSI) has commended Gujarat`s contribution in planting and regenerating the mangroves, a salt tolerant plant community, which harbours a number of critically endangered flora and fauna species.
"Compared with 2009 assessment, there has been a net increase of 23.34 sqkm in the mangrove cover of the country.
This can be attributed to increased plantations particularly in Gujarat state and regeneration of natural mangrove areas," according to the assessment by the FSI, an arm of Union Environment Ministry.
Mangroves in India account for about three per cent of the world`s mangrove vegetation.
The report says mangrove cover in India is 4,662 sqkm, which is 0.14 per cent of the country`s total geographical area. Sundarbans in West Bengal accounts for almost half of the total area under mangroves in the country.
The very dense mangrove comprises 1403 sqkm (30.10 per cent of the total mangrove cover), moderately dense mangrove is 1658.12 sqkm (35.57 per cent) while open mangroves cover an area of 1600.44 sqkm (33 per cent).
Mangrove forests are regarded as the most productive wetlands in the world on account of the large quantities of organic and inorganic nutrients released in the coastal waters by these ecosystems.
They also act as nurseries for fin fish, shell fish, crustaceans and molluscs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it