India`s mangrove cover increases, Guj takes lead
New Delhi: India recorded a net increase of 23.34 sqkm of mangrove cover between 2009 and 2011, thanks to efforts of one of the most industrialised states, Gujarat, in planting and regenerating the ecosystem rich in biodiversity.
The new biennial assessment report by the Forest Survey of India (FSI) has commended Gujarat`s contribution in planting and regenerating the mangroves, a salt tolerant plant community, which harbours a number of critically endangered flora and fauna species.
"Compared with 2009 assessment, there has been a net increase of 23.34 sqkm in the mangrove cover of the country.
This can be attributed to increased plantations particularly in Gujarat state and regeneration of natural mangrove areas," according to the assessment by the FSI, an arm of Union Environment Ministry.
Mangroves in India account for about three per cent of the world`s mangrove vegetation.
The report says mangrove cover in India is 4,662 sqkm, which is 0.14 per cent of the country`s total geographical area. Sundarbans in West Bengal accounts for almost half of the total area under mangroves in the country.
The very dense mangrove comprises 1403 sqkm (30.10 per cent of the total mangrove cover), moderately dense mangrove is 1658.12 sqkm (35.57 per cent) while open mangroves cover an area of 1600.44 sqkm (33 per cent).
Mangrove forests are regarded as the most productive wetlands in the world on account of the large quantities of organic and inorganic nutrients released in the coastal waters by these ecosystems.
They also act as nurseries for fin fish, shell fish, crustaceans and molluscs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda