Indonesia sees rise in endangered Sumatran tiger numbers
Washington: A recent survey on tigers of Sumatra has revealed that Indonesia has a growing tiger stronghold on an island that is conserved under a private authority.
Tomy Winata, founder of Tambling Wildlife Nature Conservation (TWNC), has carried out critical tiger conservation initiatives in the region since 1996.
TWNC has recently partnered with Panthera, a global big cat conservation organization, to implement a camera trap survey.
The preliminary data from the study recently indicated an unexpected density of six tigers per 100km2 in the southern region of TWNC.
The study has identified Tambling, which is part of the globally significant Bukit Barisan Selatan National Park (BBSNP), as a beacon of hope for the last remaining 400-500 wild Sumatran tigers.
Panthera`s CEO and tiger scientist, Dr. Alan Rabinowitz, stated that the main threat to tigers across their range is from poaching.
He further said that Winata and his team have successfully secured a significant area utilizing effective enforcement coupled with good science and monitoring.
TWNC`s initiatives have also benefited Tambling`s local fishing community by providing villagers with employment opportunities, contributions to the community health clinic and school, student scholarships and more.
Situated within a picturesque peninsula forming the southern tip of BBSNP, the TWNC region encompasses a privately managed concession which is critical to the protection and connectivity of core tiger populations in the larger landscape.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!