`IPCC didn`t correct glaciers report despite being informed`
London: RK Pachauri, chairman of the UN
panel on Climate Change, took two months to correct the report
about melting Himalayan glaciers despite being informed before
last year`s Copenhagen Summit, a media report claimed on Saturday,
but the climate czar termed it as "ridiculous".
"Pachauri was told that the Inter-government Panel on
Climate Change assessment that the glaciers would disappear by
2035 was wrong but he waited two months to correct it. He
failed to act despite learning that the claim had been refuted
by several leading glaciologists," The Times reported today.
The IPCC`s report underpinned the proposals at
Copenhagen for drastic cuts in global emissions, it said.
Asked whether he had deliberately kept silent about
the error to avoid embarrassment at Copenhagen, Pachauri told
the newspaper: "That`s ridiculous. It never came to my
attention before the Copenhagen summit. It wasn`t in the
The report said Pachauri, who played a leading role at
the December Copenhagen summit, corrected the error last week
after coming under media pressure.
Pachauri had last week admitted that the report about
melting of Himalayan glaciers was a mistake, but ruled out his
resignation on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks