IPCC report on global warming leaked online
London: The draft of a major global warming report by the UN has been leaked on the Internet, which says that scientist are sure that humans are responsible for causing the planet to warm.
The fifth assessment report (AR5) by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) was uploaded onto a website called Stop Green Suicide and has since been mirrored elsewhere on the Internet.
According to the Guardian, climate sceptics have heralded the sentence, which they interpret as meaning that cosmic rays could have a greater warming influence on the planet than mankind`s emissions – as ‘game-changing’.
The leaked draft ‘summary for policymakers’ contains a statement that appears to contradict the climate sceptics` interpretation, the paper said.
“There is consistent evidence from observations of a net energy uptake of the earth system due to an imbalance in the energy budget,” the draft said.
“It is virtually certain that this is caused by human activities, primarily by the increase in CO2 concentrations. There is very high confidence that natural forcing contributes only a small fraction to this imbalance,” it added.
According to the paper, by "virtually certain", the scientists say they mean they are now 99 percent sure that man`s emissions are responsible.
By comparison, in the IPCC`s last report, published in 2007, the scientists said they had a "very high confidence" – 90 percent sure – humans were principally responsible for causing the planet to warm, the paper added.
The IPCC, which confirmed the draft is genuine, said the agency ‘regrets the unauthorized posting which interferes with the process of assessment and review.’
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed