IPCC report on global warming leaked online
London: The draft of a major global warming report by the UN has been leaked on the Internet, which says that scientist are sure that humans are responsible for causing the planet to warm.
The fifth assessment report (AR5) by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) was uploaded onto a website called Stop Green Suicide and has since been mirrored elsewhere on the Internet.
According to the Guardian, climate sceptics have heralded the sentence, which they interpret as meaning that cosmic rays could have a greater warming influence on the planet than mankind`s emissions – as ‘game-changing’.
The leaked draft ‘summary for policymakers’ contains a statement that appears to contradict the climate sceptics` interpretation, the paper said.
“There is consistent evidence from observations of a net energy uptake of the earth system due to an imbalance in the energy budget,” the draft said.
“It is virtually certain that this is caused by human activities, primarily by the increase in CO2 concentrations. There is very high confidence that natural forcing contributes only a small fraction to this imbalance,” it added.
According to the paper, by "virtually certain", the scientists say they mean they are now 99 percent sure that man`s emissions are responsible.
By comparison, in the IPCC`s last report, published in 2007, the scientists said they had a "very high confidence" – 90 percent sure – humans were principally responsible for causing the planet to warm, the paper added.
The IPCC, which confirmed the draft is genuine, said the agency ‘regrets the unauthorized posting which interferes with the process of assessment and review.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...