IPCC report on global warming leaked online
London: The draft of a major global warming report by the UN has been leaked on the Internet, which says that scientist are sure that humans are responsible for causing the planet to warm.
The fifth assessment report (AR5) by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) was uploaded onto a website called Stop Green Suicide and has since been mirrored elsewhere on the Internet.
According to the Guardian, climate sceptics have heralded the sentence, which they interpret as meaning that cosmic rays could have a greater warming influence on the planet than mankind`s emissions – as ‘game-changing’.
The leaked draft ‘summary for policymakers’ contains a statement that appears to contradict the climate sceptics` interpretation, the paper said.
“There is consistent evidence from observations of a net energy uptake of the earth system due to an imbalance in the energy budget,” the draft said.
“It is virtually certain that this is caused by human activities, primarily by the increase in CO2 concentrations. There is very high confidence that natural forcing contributes only a small fraction to this imbalance,” it added.
According to the paper, by "virtually certain", the scientists say they mean they are now 99 percent sure that man`s emissions are responsible.
By comparison, in the IPCC`s last report, published in 2007, the scientists said they had a "very high confidence" – 90 percent sure – humans were principally responsible for causing the planet to warm, the paper added.
The IPCC, which confirmed the draft is genuine, said the agency ‘regrets the unauthorized posting which interferes with the process of assessment and review.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill