IPCC response over Himalayan glacier in a week: Pachauri
Abu Dhabi: R K Pachauri, head of UN`s
panel of climate scientists today defended his Nobel winning
team over forecasting an early disappearance of the Himalayan
glaciers, saying IPCC will soon come with a response report on
The Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
is preparing a response to the glacier retreat report and will
announce the same in a week`s time, Pachauri said.
Speaking to PTI on the sidelines of the World Future
Energy Summit (WFES) here, Pachauri said he would like an end
to the controversy but does not want to rake up the issue
before a formal response is prepared.
Pachauri was keynote speaker at the Summit.
A section of a 2007 report by IPCC said the
probability of glaciers in the Himalayas "disappearing by the
year 2035 and perhaps sooner is very high."
Pachauri said that even if the remarks on Himalayan
glaciers is incorrect, it does not undermine evidence
supporting the existence of climate change.
"Theoretically, let`s say we slipped up on one
number, I don`t think it takes anything away from the
overwhelming scientific evidence of what`s happening with the
climate of this earth," he said.
"We continue to disagree with the 2035 date and that
will be part of the response we are working on," he said.
On the subject of the cold spell across Europe
Pachauri said climate should be seen separate from weather.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly