Is this the beginning of a new mini ice age?
Washington: America’s present icy weather may just mark the beginning of a mini ice age, a UN climate expert has warned.
According to Mojib Latif, a professor at the Leibniz Institute at Germany``s Kiel University and an author of the U.N.``s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report, the next 30 years could see mercury dipping further.
His mini ice age theory is based on a review of natural cycles in water temperatures in the world``s oceans.
Latif says the prolonged cold weather is just a 30 year-long-break in the global warming cycle, which assumes that temperatures will rise rapidly in the near future.
He told the Daily Mail that "a significant share of the warming we saw from 1980 to 2000 and at earlier periods in the 20th Century was due to these cycles -- perhaps as much as 50 percent," reports Fox News.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical