Is this the beginning of a new mini ice age?
Washington: America’s present icy weather may just mark the beginning of a mini ice age, a UN climate expert has warned.
According to Mojib Latif, a professor at the Leibniz Institute at Germany``s Kiel University and an author of the U.N.``s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report, the next 30 years could see mercury dipping further.
His mini ice age theory is based on a review of natural cycles in water temperatures in the world``s oceans.
Latif says the prolonged cold weather is just a 30 year-long-break in the global warming cycle, which assumes that temperatures will rise rapidly in the near future.
He told the Daily Mail that "a significant share of the warming we saw from 1980 to 2000 and at earlier periods in the 20th Century was due to these cycles -- perhaps as much as 50 percent," reports Fox News.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what