Jairam seeks more funds for tiger conservation
New Delhi: Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh Monday sought more funds for tiger conservation and said huge money is needed for relocation of people living in core areas of the country`s 39 tiger reserves.
Releasing the Tiger Estimate 2010 here, which showed a rise in the big cat`s numbers, Ramesh asked Planning Commission Deputy Chairperson Montek Singh Ahluwalia, who was also present, to increase the budgetary allocation for tiger conservation.
"We have to relocate 50,000 families from core areas of 39 tiger reserves but as of now only 3,000 such families have been shifted. We need more funds to carry out the relocation process," he said.
The environment ministry gives Rs.10 lakh as compensation per family to those living in the core zones of tiger reserves.
Ramesh also emphasised the need to balance development and environment.
"Many tiger reserves are under threat from coal mining, hydel power projects, irrigation projects. There is a need for nine percent economic growth and there is no dispute in that, but we have to reconcile growth with environment," Ramesh said.
"Choices have to be made on whether we can afford nine percent growth and end our forest cover. We have to find a way of balancing imperative high growth with imperative preserving of the ecosystem," said Ramesh.
Talking on the same lines, Montek Singh Ahluwalia said: "I don`t know why I am being seen as the biggest threat to environment. There is a need to balance development and environment."
The census recorded an increase in tiger figures to 1,706 in 2010, compared to 1,411 in 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly