Japan could play leading role at UN climate change meet: WWF
New York: Japan, which has promised to cut
greenhouse gas emissions by 25 percent by 2020, could play a
leading role as a catalyst for change in global efforts to
reduce the impact of climate change, World Wide Fund (WWF) for
Nature has said.
The new administration in Tokyo could play a crucial role
in the UN climate change conference to be held here next week,
"We found it very encouraging that both as part of the
election campaign and even more so actually in the statement
after the election he (new Japanese PM Yukio Hatoyama) has
been very clear in talking about cutting Japan`s greenhouse
gas emissions by 25 per cent by 2020," said Kim Carstensen,
the director of the WWF`s Global Climate Initiative.
"We hope and we think it will be very, very important
that he repeat that to the world from on the stage of the UN,"
It could be seen as one of the "really important
trust-building initiatives that could come out" of the
day-long event in New York, said Carstensen, who heads the
independent conservation organisation`s operations on climate
Hatoyama has pledged that Tokyo would seek to cut
greenhouse gas emissions by a quarter from 1990s levels
within the next 11 years.
Next Tuesday, UN Secretary General Bank Ki Moon will host
a climate change meeting to pave the way for the Conference of
the Parties to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change
in Copenhagen in December to adopt a new climate treaty to
succeed the 1997 Kyoto Protocol.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands