Japan helping India clean Yamuna: Natarajan
New Delhi: India is getting assistance from Japan for a programme to cleanse the Yamuna river, Environment Minister Jayanthi Natarajan said Monday.
In a written reply to a query in the Lok Sabha, Natarajan informed the lower house that the Japanese government would provide India a loan of over 32 billion yen for the third phase of the plan.
"Japan international Co-operation Agency (JICA) has agreed to provide a loan of 32,571 million yen to the Government of India for the 3rd phase of the Yamuna Action Plan (YAP)," Natarajan said.
The minister said the loan agreement was signed Feb 16, 2011.
JICA is an independent governmental agency of Japan that assists economic and social growth in developing countries, and the promotion of international cooperation.
"The government is implementing the Yamuna Action Plan in a phased manned with assistance from the government of Japan. A total of 286 schemes for cleaning the river have already been implemented in 21 towns of Uttar Pradesh, Haryana and Delhi. sewage cleaning capacity of 767.25 million litres per day has been created," she added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler