Japan quake aftershocks could go on for years, says expert
Washington: An expert has warned that people in Japan should brace for aftershocks from devastating earthquake because it could go on for years, though they`d get weaker as time goes on.
Dr Marcia McNutt, director of the US Geological Survey, told "The Early Show on Saturday Morning" co-anchor Rebecca Jarvis that the 8.9-magnitude temblor`s power could provide electricity for a city the size of Los Angeles "for an entire year."
The aftershocks, she said, are "the unnerving part of it" in that it`s not "just the five minutes of shaking from this earthquake, but it keeps going on and on and on, in terms of disrupting the lives of not only the citizens, but the relief workers. There`s something called Omori`s Law, which governs the aftershocks, that there`s aftershocks on Day One. And half as many aftershocks on Day Two. And one-third as many aftershocks on Day Three. And it keeps going on for literally years afterwards, disrupting the lives."
" ... The aftershocks themselves could bring down buildings that have already been stressed by the main shock itself. And they will hamper the efforts of the relief workers, " CBS News quoted McNutt as saying.
"It will taper off in time," McNutt said, "but it could go on for years."
McNutt said efforts are on-going to get an earthquake warning system in place.
"Science," she pointed out, "tells us that it`s very difficult to predict earthquakes. But, of course, this earthquake was preceded by foreshocks. And we are trying to install something called the Advanced National Seismic System, which can give an advanced warning of an event like this, which would allow safe shutdown of systems, electrical systems, gas systems, which can lessen the impact of an event just like this," McNutt added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand