Junagadh Zoo gets pair of world`s smallest monkey
Rajkot: Two pygmy marmosets, known as the world`s smallest monkey species, have been brought to Sakkarbaug Zoo in Junagadh under an exchange programme.
"A pair of pygmy marmosets, the smallest species of the monkey, also called pocket monkey, has been brought here from Mysore Zoo under animal exchange programme," said VJ Rana, director of Sakkarbaug Zoo.
Rana said no other zoo in Gujarat had this species.
The Mysore zoo got a pair of lions in return.
A pigmy marmoset is just 5.5 to 6.5 inches `tall`, and weighs 300 to 500 grams. The species is found in Western Brazil, South-Eastern Colombia, Eastern Ecuador and Eastern Peru, zoo officials said, adding that the tiny animal`s diet includes fruit, leaves, insects, small reptiles and tree-sap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical