Junagadh Zoo gets pair of world`s smallest monkey
Rajkot: Two pygmy marmosets, known as the world`s smallest monkey species, have been brought to Sakkarbaug Zoo in Junagadh under an exchange programme.
"A pair of pygmy marmosets, the smallest species of the monkey, also called pocket monkey, has been brought here from Mysore Zoo under animal exchange programme," said VJ Rana, director of Sakkarbaug Zoo.
Rana said no other zoo in Gujarat had this species.
The Mysore zoo got a pair of lions in return.
A pigmy marmoset is just 5.5 to 6.5 inches `tall`, and weighs 300 to 500 grams. The species is found in Western Brazil, South-Eastern Colombia, Eastern Ecuador and Eastern Peru, zoo officials said, adding that the tiny animal`s diet includes fruit, leaves, insects, small reptiles and tree-sap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!