Junagadh Zoo gets pair of world`s smallest monkey
Rajkot: Two pygmy marmosets, known as the world`s smallest monkey species, have been brought to Sakkarbaug Zoo in Junagadh under an exchange programme.
"A pair of pygmy marmosets, the smallest species of the monkey, also called pocket monkey, has been brought here from Mysore Zoo under animal exchange programme," said VJ Rana, director of Sakkarbaug Zoo.
Rana said no other zoo in Gujarat had this species.
The Mysore zoo got a pair of lions in return.
A pigmy marmoset is just 5.5 to 6.5 inches `tall`, and weighs 300 to 500 grams. The species is found in Western Brazil, South-Eastern Colombia, Eastern Ecuador and Eastern Peru, zoo officials said, adding that the tiny animal`s diet includes fruit, leaves, insects, small reptiles and tree-sap.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'