`Just 10 yrs left to save Oz`s Great Barrier Reef`
London: The beautiful Great Barrier Reef in Australia might soon be a wonder that the future generation may never see.
An expert has warned that time was running out for the reef, with just a decade’s time left to save it.
“If we continue to release CO2 into the atmosphere at current rates, a tipping point will be reached within 10 years beyond which ocean warming will occur no matter what humans do from that point, reducing the reef`s chances of survival,” New Scientist quoted Prof Ove Hoegh-Guldberg from the University of Queensland, as saying at the Greenhouse 2011 conference in Cairns.
Biologists had previously believed that corals might be able to handle rising ocean temperatures by exchanging the symbiotic algae they rely on for their energy with other species that function efficiently at higher temperatures.
Recent studies, however, suggested that this was possible for only the 25 percent of the world`s coral species that host multiple species of algae rather than just one.
The remaining species would have to ‘migrate their way out of trouble’ instead, said Hoegh-Guldberg.
Under current rates of warming, he estimates, corals would have to move southward at a rate of 15 km per year to stay cool.
"Individual coral larvae can travel great distances, but the entire reef system can`t. The uncomfortable conclusion is that we might lose the reef," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people