Karnataka to implement Rs 1900-cr forest project
Bangalore: The Karnataka government will implement the second phase of the Karnataka Sustainable Forest Management and Biodiversity Conservation Project, aimed at expanding forests, over the next eight years.
The project will involve a cost of Rs 1899.72 crore.
It will be implemented with an aid of Rs 1701.98 crore from the Japan International Co-operation Agency (JICA), with the state government contributing the remaining share.
The project is aimed at expanding forests to bring about ecological restoration and facilitating livelihood improvement of inhabitants of the villages by afforestation.
Forest Minister B Ramanath Rai said the state Cabinet has approved the project and a detail project report would be sent to JICA. The first phase of the KSFMBC was executed between 2005 and 2012 with the aid of JICA (Rs 745 crore). The second phase will run from 2013-14, 2020-21.
The project would cover all 30 districts, including places such as Bhramagiri, Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuaries, Daroji Bear Sanctuary, Ranebennur Blackbuck Sanctuary, Shettyhalli-Sharavathi Sanctuary, Talacauvery, Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary and Kudremukh National Park, Rai said.
Meanwhile, the Minister said no wildlife has died due to foot and mouth disease in wildlife sanctuaries of the state.
Department officials have been instructed to take all precautionary steps to prevent the spread of disease in sanctuaries, he said.
More than 2000 cows died due to the disease in various districts, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations