Kerala announces strict measures against bio-piracy
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala State Biodiversity Board (KSBB) Wednesday announced strict measures to prevent bio-piracy.
K.P. Laladhas, member-secretary of the newly-constituted board, said that a few important decisions have been taken in the best interests of the state`s bio-diversity.
"We have decided to ask the National Biodiversity Board to impress upon the Centre, and see that a taxonomist is appointed in the emigration department, in seaports and airports, to ensure that precious plant material endemic to our state are not taken away," said Laladhas.
Kerala is home to nearly 10,035 plant species (22 percent of the national plant diversity). Of the 4,600 flowering plants found in Kerala 1,500 are endemic.
"We have decided to put up huge signboards in all entry points of our state, in the airport and at important locations, stating the importance of protecting Kerala`s environment," said Laladhas.
"We will also ask the local bodies in the state to see that when the workers clean up the roads and highways, they do not destroy the flora and fauna because numerous species of precious plants are being destroyed like this," added Laladhas.
Of late KSBB has started numerous initiatives, the latest one in news was - Kerala being the first of the states to set up Biodiversity Management Committee (BMC) in all the 978 village councils.
Out of the 978 councils, 500 village councils have prepared the People`s Biodiversity Registers (PBRs), making it a rare distinction in the country for any state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi