Kerala Social forestry gets UN recognition
Thiruvananthapuram: A host of afforestation programmes taken up by the Kerala government in the last four years has received United Nations` recognition.
The programmes, implemented by the state Forest Department, like `Ente Maram Padhathi` (My Tree Scheme), `Haritha Keralam` (Greening Kerala), `Haritha Theeram` (Greening the Coast Programme), `Vazhiyorathanal Thanal` (Road-Side Planting of Shade Trees) have been widely appreciated for its effective implementation by the international agency.
As part of the programmes, a total of 1.87 crore saplings have been distributed and planted in the non-forest lands across the state contributing as part of the `Plant for the
Planet--Billion Tree Campaign` of the UNEP.
The state Minister for Forest Binoy Viswam would be honoured by presenting a certificate for the support and effective management of the innovative initiatives, Principal Chief Conservator of Forest T M Manoharan told reporters here Saturday.
"It is for the first time that the state has been receiving such an international recognition," Manoharan said.
While about 68 lakhs seedlings were planted and well-managed under the `My Tree Programme`, around 1.47 lakh seedlings were planted under the `Road-Side Planting of Shade Trees` project during the period between 2007-2010, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand