Kerala Social forestry gets UN recognition
Thiruvananthapuram: A host of afforestation programmes taken up by the Kerala government in the last four years has received United Nations` recognition.
The programmes, implemented by the state Forest Department, like `Ente Maram Padhathi` (My Tree Scheme), `Haritha Keralam` (Greening Kerala), `Haritha Theeram` (Greening the Coast Programme), `Vazhiyorathanal Thanal` (Road-Side Planting of Shade Trees) have been widely appreciated for its effective implementation by the international agency.
As part of the programmes, a total of 1.87 crore saplings have been distributed and planted in the non-forest lands across the state contributing as part of the `Plant for the
Planet--Billion Tree Campaign` of the UNEP.
The state Minister for Forest Binoy Viswam would be honoured by presenting a certificate for the support and effective management of the innovative initiatives, Principal Chief Conservator of Forest T M Manoharan told reporters here Saturday.
"It is for the first time that the state has been receiving such an international recognition," Manoharan said.
While about 68 lakhs seedlings were planted and well-managed under the `My Tree Programme`, around 1.47 lakh seedlings were planted under the `Road-Side Planting of Shade Trees` project during the period between 2007-2010, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi