Kerala Social forestry gets UN recognition
Thiruvananthapuram: A host of afforestation programmes taken up by the Kerala government in the last four years has received United Nations` recognition.
The programmes, implemented by the state Forest Department, like `Ente Maram Padhathi` (My Tree Scheme), `Haritha Keralam` (Greening Kerala), `Haritha Theeram` (Greening the Coast Programme), `Vazhiyorathanal Thanal` (Road-Side Planting of Shade Trees) have been widely appreciated for its effective implementation by the international agency.
As part of the programmes, a total of 1.87 crore saplings have been distributed and planted in the non-forest lands across the state contributing as part of the `Plant for the
Planet--Billion Tree Campaign` of the UNEP.
The state Minister for Forest Binoy Viswam would be honoured by presenting a certificate for the support and effective management of the innovative initiatives, Principal Chief Conservator of Forest T M Manoharan told reporters here Saturday.
"It is for the first time that the state has been receiving such an international recognition," Manoharan said.
While about 68 lakhs seedlings were planted and well-managed under the `My Tree Programme`, around 1.47 lakh seedlings were planted under the `Road-Side Planting of Shade Trees` project during the period between 2007-2010, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis